Did you know that technically a button-down is a shirt where the collar actually buttons to the shirt and a button-up is a shirt that has buttons from top to bottom in the front? A button-up can also be called a button-front shirt but unless the collar buttons to the shirt it shouldn’t be called a button-down.
The more you know, right?
Anyway, recently a reader contacted me to say she had a closet full of button-up shirts from J. Crew and was getting tired of wearing them the same old way. I know that we tend to get in ruts of tucking our button-up shirts into dress pants, adding a belt, and going to work. So instead of the usual, try one of these 11 other ways to wear your button-up shirt!
Shirt in this image seen here
- Add a vest or sleeveless blazer over the top of the shirt and pair with ankle pants and flats.
- Add a puffy vest over the shirt and wear a belt at your waist over both. Pair with a pencil skirt and heels to dress it up for the office.
- Add a skirt and a cardigan but instead of tucking in the shirt knot it at your waist.
- Wear the shirt under a crewneck sweater but do some pattern mixing. This could go with jeans, a skirt or dress pants.
- Button the shirt all the way to the top and add a cropped collarless blazer/jacket over it.
- Wear the shirt open over another top so it’s more like a jacket or cardigan.
- Add a blazer, scarf, skinny pants, and riding boots.
- If it’s cool enough out, wear a crewneck sweater over the shirt and then put a blazer on top of that.
- Layer two button down shirts over one another.
- Wear a button down underneath a sleeveless dress or a long-sleeved sweater dress.
- Wear with a pencil skirt and a scarf
There are probably lots of other ways you could wear a button-up shirt that I haven’t even mentioned! What’s your favorite way?