Making It Up As I Go Along

•• Office Appropriate Outfits - Winter

Loop Looks, Chicago Style Blogger, wears a cobalt blue blazer with cobalt blue pants paired with a black and white shell and a black faux fur vest

Loop Looks, a Chicago Style Blogger, wears a cobalt blue blazer with a black and white top and black faux fur vest

Blazer – Forever 21 (similar) | Pants – LOFT (similar) | Shirt – The Limited (same) | Vest – Comfort Me Boutique (similar) | Necklace – NYC jewelry store (similar) | Shoes – Bandolino (same)

First, in case you missed it, please take the Loop Looks Two Year Anniversary Reader Survey! I want to share the results with you next week so if you could fill it out before then I would really appreciate it.

Second, this cobalt and black faux fur outfit is almost an exact duplicate of an outfit I saw on Penny Pincher Fashion over a year ago. I already had the blazer and the pants, the top I added to my closet last month, and the faux fur vest jumped out at me when I was Comfort Me boutique last week for an event. In fact, that store is so adorable that I’m planning a fun collaboration with them next month!

I’ll be honest, though, I loved the way this looked on PPF but on me I felt it made me top heavy. I think my vest is a tad bit more robust than hers. I rather wished I’d had a cobalt cardigan instead of a blazer to cut down on some of the bulk.  However, I still like the idea of wearing a vest over a blazer so I think I’ll play around with it. Never fear, though, I have other ideas on how to style this vest since it appears winter will be back in full force next week.

You know what I don’t have any ideas on, though? Make up. When Bri from Work Clothes, I Suppose announced this months’ Third Thursday Threads Theme as “beauty” I knew I was in trouble.

See, here’s my current make up routine.

makeup

And you want to know something interesting? I don’t think I’ve EVER bought lipstick! Nope. I just keep getting it for free.

lipstick

I hardly ever remember to wear it, though, so I suppose it’s a good thing I don’t spend money on it!

Do you have a make up routine? Sometimes I feel like I failed “girl” because I can barely do my own hair and eyeliner scares me.

Linking up with H&K Style Journey | Work Clothes, I Suppose | Vodka Infused Lemonade

1. Kandi

Do you like the Rimmel BB cream? I have a different brand and I don’t hate it but I don’t love it. I don’t wear much makeup (don’t think I’ve worn any at all this year and having Bell’s palsy for a few weeks didn’t inspire me to wear any) but I do from time to time. I mostly do a light foundation or BB cream and mascara. I don’t think I even own any lipstick right now.

I’ve only ever tried the Rimmel but I like it enough that I just bought another tube. It does a good job of decreasing any redness but it’s definitely not full coverage like a foundation would be. I definitely have to put the matte Bare Minerals power over it.

I think you’re right, that your vest a bit more substantial then the one PPF is wearing. You still look fab though, I love when you wear something super different like this!

I hardly leave the house without makeup. I do the whole Bare Minerals routine, wear some MAC eyeliner and lots of mascara. I guess all those years working at ULTA really paid off, since my makeup is always looking so FLY ;)

3. Dee!

Just wanted to tell you that you have convinced me, over the past months to order a pair of leopard-print shoes. I just did and they are like, so cute!! Can’t wait to wear them.
    Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I can see what you’re saying about the bulk of a blazer with your vest – but it is a cute idea!

I have a ton of free lipstick, but do buy my own since the free colors are usually pretty neutral (versus bright red, my favorite!). But mascara is something that I definitely haven’t bought in a really long time, since I keep getting it free. Eyeliner scared me for a while too, but I got the hang of it just playing around with it for a while. I really like the gel eyeliner pencils at ULTA. They’re cheap and go on smooth. Go get one and give it a shot :)

Well, from left to right in the picture I posted I got them from:

1. Buying $70 worth of stuff at Ulta
        2. The Hero 10K goody bag
        3. Midwest Bloggers Brunch
        4. “Free” gift for buying a bunch of Clinque
        5. Midwest Bloggers Brunch

Mine’s almost all from Clinique. I use their moisturizer and make-up remover, and just watch dept store ads to see who is giving away bonus gifts with purhcase (because someone almost always is). My mom uses the moisturizer too, but doesn’t really wear make-up, so she mails me all her bonus gifts. ULTA occasionally gives away free stuff too.

I have gotten TWO bright red lipsticks for free this year. Turns out I love a bright red lip, too.

I’ll have to check out those gel eyeliner pencils. And then maybe have someone show me how to put it on so I don’t look ridiculous.

Pretty sure I’ve followed the exact same beauty routine since I read how to get Jamie Spears’s look in GL Magazine, which should give you an idea of how long I’ve been following the exact same beauty routine. Hahaha. But it’s super simple (pale pink eyeshadow, concealer, bronzer, mascara) and works for pretty much every situation. Sometimes I’ll put on eyeliner if it’s a fancy occasion, or maybe do a little more with eyeshadow. I figure what I’ve been doing has worked just fine for so long, though, so no reason to mess with it!

I’m so jealous of people who don’t blemishes they have to worry about! Admittedly, I refuse to pile on make-up with a trowel (like the girl next to me in the gym locker room yesterday. Oof.) but the older I get the more I feel I have to conceal.

I LOVE the layering on the top- I don’t think it’s top heavy at all! And the blue blazer- can’t believe that is F21!

As for makeup, I am a huge BareMinerals fan as well and use that and BB Cream daily (I use Dr. Jart after trying it in a Birchbox…but once I run out of Birchbox points, I may have to try a brand from the drugstores because it’s a little pricey!)

7. Maggie

I love make-up, but I try to keep my morning routine as quick as possible (and it really isn’t all that quick since I blow dry my hair every morning during the winter), so I stopped wearing make-up every day years ago. I do however wear eyeliner and mascara daily. My lashes are long but blonde, so (to me) it’s a pity if I don’t define them.

When I do wear make-up, I really do enjoy putting it on and go for all of it – powder foundation, blush, various eyeshadows on different parts of my lids (white just under the brow, dark in the crease/outside of lid, lighter on the inside of the lid), brow pencil, eyeliner on top and bottom, mascara, lip stain and lip gloss. If it’s a really fancy night, I have some fun gold glitter eyeliner that I’ll add and I love any excuse for fake eyelashes.

8. Suburban Style Challenge

I almost always wear smudgy eyeliner, mascara, and blush, along with basic lip balm. Whether or not I add eyeshadow (and how much) depends, usually on my time and the event. Lipstick is a tough one for me. I like the look but am not big on the feel usually, or the having to constantly upkeep it. I like lip stains though, and have added some to my makeup bag, but it’s a matter of remembering to use them LOL

9. Katie of alaskan weredork

Bb cream is awesome, isn’t it? I used the Rimmel for a while before switching over to Garnier’s skin renewal bb cream, it beats regular foundation hands down.(so smooth!). I’m about the same when it comes to makeup and hair but your’s always looks so pretty, especially with your shorter hair cut. I like the last photo, the cobalt and the black look very striking together.

10. Melissa

If it makes you feel any better, your makeup routine is way more advanced than mine.

Exhibit A:
    concealer (palette from BH cosmetics)
    MAC Studio fix powder
    Burts Bees lip balm

If I’m feeling “fancy” I’ll throw on some neutral gloss.

So yeah… :)

11. Style Journey

I think the outfit turned out fabulous! The graphic top is really great. As far as make up goes, I really like lipstick. Even if you don’t have any other make up on, it instantly makes you look pulled together. I bet you would look great in bright lipstick!