Admittedly, I have never done the whole Black Friday thing. I really, really like sleep so the idea of getting up at 3:00 AM to go shopping just kills me. Yes, I like sleep more than I like shopping but it’s a lot more difficult to have a blog devoted to sleeping than a blog devoted to personal style.
Anyway! My friend Kelsey wrote a blog post last year about how Black Friday is probably her favorite day of the year.
Now when I say I love Black Friday, I mean I really love Black Friday. As far as I’m concerned, Thanksgiving is just Black Friday Eve.
I asked her if I could share her tips with you and she very nicely said yes. So, here’s what Kelsey has to say about Black Friday shopping.
Part One: Getting ready to shop
- I put money aside from each paycheck into a separate bank account labeled BLACK FRIDAY (starting in January) so I have lots to spend when the day finally arrives.
- I literally do all my Christmas shopping on this glorious day- I do not come home until I’ve completely gotten everything I set out for.
- Whatever money I don’t spend on Christmas presents (once I’ve bought everything I intended to) I spend on myself.
- I go to bed super early on Thanksgiving so I can be up, alert and ready to go around 3:30 AM.
Part Two: The actual shopping
For those of you not as crazy as myself- here are the stores you definitely NEED to check out on BF because they have such awesome deals:
- Kohl’s– This is the only day I ever go to this store. Kohl’s basically gives stuff away on BF.
- Macy’s– Always my first stop because I do 75% of my Christmas shopping here. Great deals and amazing coupons.
- Old Navy– They basically give stuff away too.
Stores to skip?
- Nordstrom Rack- Last year their big thing was a coupon for 40% off one item-um hello that’s not BF worthy.
- TJ Maxx/ Marshall’s– They never have BF deals because everything is already on sale. The lines are always crazy crowded so I typically skip these stores all together on BF.
- Banana Republic- I still don’t get how Old Navy has such awesome deals and Banana Republic will have something like 20% off full priced items. Again, not BF worthy.
So, tell me, do you go shopping on Black Friday or do you avoid it like the plague?