Catching the Thrift Shopping Bug

•• Office Appropriate Outfits - Summer

Thrifted black and white houndstooth dress, magenta cardigan, black heeled sandals

Thrifted black and white houndstooth dress, magenta cardiganblack_strappy_sandals

Cardigan – The Limited (similar) | Dress – Thrifted Merona/Target (similar) | Shoes – Nine West (similar) | Bracelet – House of Gemmes (same) | Earrings – Macy’s (same) | Necklace – gift (similar) | Belt – From another shirt (similar)

You guys! I went thrift shopping and I actually found something! This dress was less than $7 at the local Goodwill and it’s the perfect comfy yet professional dress. For less than $7!! A faux wrap dress in a neutral color and pattern in a jersey fabric that will wash and wear well? Is this thrift shop nirvana I’m experiencing?

Of course, I still need to go back to the thrift shop because I’m told that going on a regular basis nets you the best finds. So I’m still a newbie at it but I have to admit, it was fun! I went in with zero expectations and made sure to look in several different size ranges because clothes are all cut so differently. I tried on a lot of things (the Goodwill near my apartment has very nice dressing rooms) but still had an idea of what items would fill holes in my closet instead of buying things just because they were a brand I recognized (J. Crew striped shirt, anyone? I do not need more striped shirts!).

So, yes, very successful trip. It also helps that books are SUPER cheap. I haven’t bought a book in a long time but this may change that.

What about you? How do you feel about thrift shopping?

1. Maggie

I love thrift shopping, but I think I need to be more goal-oriented when I go. Normally my motto is “buy all the things” because it’s a good deal, and not necessarily something I need. I’ve had the most luck finding shoes and dresses second-hand. For shoes, Clothes Mentor and Plato’s Closet are dangerous …

1. Maggie

Usually the charitable thrift stores have well-worn or very past-season shoes, and I pass on those. But Plato’s Closet/Clothes Mentor buys their stock, so they are very picky about what they offer in their stores – has to be “on trend” and in very good condition. The few times I’ve tried to sell them my stuff, they generally pass on everything. So their shoes are like new or in very good condition. A lot of my “fun” shoes are from there … I assume someone bought them because they looked really trendy/fun/awesome, ended up never wearing them, and sold them to the store. I don’t mind spending $15 on never-worn Steve Madden glitter heels that I’ll only wear a couple times.

2. Suburban Style Challenge

Great find! Don’t you love that? The bug has bitten you and now you know what good buys there are there. Wait until you find that unicorn piece–something so rare and wonderful, and amazingly priced, that you just want to show it off to everyone!

Clearly, I love thrifting ;)

There’s a Salvation Army suuuuuuuper close to me that I haven’t investigated too thoroughly, though it was a dream last year before the Chicago Half when I went there to buy a throwaway jacket to keep me warm pre-race. I got this awesome Columbia fleece for like $2.50 I believe? Insane. I was actually kind of bummed to throw it away at the start line. I went to another thrift/consignment shop on Clark a few weeks ago because I was in the mood for thrifting (who am I?) and got a J. Crew tank for $8.50! Win! That was more of Plato’s Closet-esque type thrift store, though, where they only accept more or less brand name clothes rather than whatever you happened to have in your closet. But I really enjoyed it (since I was in the mood for it) and can definitely see myself thrifting in the future.

Woo hoo! Way to go you thrifter! That Target dress is AMAZING!! I hope to find more Target stuff at my Goodwill soon too…I think I’m due for another trip! :-)

That is such a great find! Smart tip about looking for something you need, rather than being aimless. You know where my shopping aversion comes from, and it’s mostly being aimless. So I haven’t thrifted (except when looking for Halloween stuff) because I feel so overwhelmed by all the… stuff. I do much better when everything is organized and there is a lot of one thing, if that makes any sense at all.

Valerie shared a great post with me about thrift shopping tips that I can’t currently find but it really changed my outlook on how to shop at thrift stores.

The Goodwill near me does a great job of organizing items by type and then by size and I think they get donations from Target because there were a few dresses that still had the tags on them and came in almost every size!

6. Mica

I have a friend who loves to thrift, but I haven’t been so into it. I like having multiple sizes to try on of any one item!

As I learn more about what colors/styles/silhouettes to target though, I can see myself enjoying it. I mean $7 for a dress? Can’t be that!! Nice find!

I’m similar in that I want to be able to walk into a store and buy what I want. I don’t love “the hunt.” But it was fun to look at different items that I might not find in a store as just try on whatever caught my eye regardless of size.