Lavender at the Zoo

Office Appropriate Outfits - Spring

houndstooth_skirt_lavender_tank 011

houndstooth_skirt_lavender_tank 018 houndstooth_skirt_lavender_tank 019

Blazer – The Limited  (similar under $35) | Shell – The Limited (similar under $30) | Skirt – The Limited (similar under $25) | Bracelet – House of Gemmes | Shoes – Tahari via TJ Maxx (similar)

Back in March I promised you photos of the zoo.  Well, today I finally had a chance to take some outfit photos while at an event at the Lincoln Park Zoo. And what a day to take photos! I’m so glad I waited because, wow. This weather is what makes people love living in Chicago.

houndstooth_skirt_lavender_tank 029

Today was the perfect day to wear this ruffled lavender shell I’ve had hanging in my closet for over a year but have only worn a handful of times. I was inspired to wear it because of the link-up going on at Literately Stylish where we’re encouraged to wear Pantone’s colors of the year. Today’s submission is “African violet.”  I typically think of African violets as a deeper purple but apparently this year it means a lighter, paler shade of purple.

houndstooth_skirt_lavender_tank 020

I was at a professional event so I paired it with my black blazer and my houndstooth printed pencil skirt for a bit of fun without looking too stodgy.  At least, I hope that’s how I looked!

I also have a bit of “African violet” on one of my toes post-marathon. For those of you who are not runners, the occasional “black” (technically bruised) toenail is a badge of honor.  I wore my open-toed shoes proudly sans toenail polish and owned that bruised nail.

And, yes, these photos were taken at the zoo. It’s really more of a park with a zoo in the middle and on a gorgeous day like today I wanted to stay there all day. The zoo’s free, by the way, so if you’re ever in Chicago I highly suggest you stop by.

15 replies on “Lavender at the Zoo

1. Kandi

Cute! I’ve never thought to wear lighter shades with my black and white houndstooth skirt. I always tend to think of it as a winter skirt and pair it with darker colors like red. I like that purple though!

Black and white skirts are practically neutrals in my closet and I wear them with all kinds of colors. Red, of course, but also blues and purples and pinks.

2. Bri Marie

Gosh this skirt is amazing – I love it paired with the softer ruffles and colors on your shell. Really great pairing!!! And I love that you wore open-toed shoes even with a bruised toenail – I’m sure no one noticed it as much as you did!

You’re right that I’m sure no one else noticed my toenail!

And I never thought about it but the ruffles really do soften the harshness of the houndstooth print. I may have to recreate this outfit with other ruffled tops I own!

3. Marissa @ The Modern Austen

This is a gorgeous and professional outfit! Best dressed zoo-goer I’ve ever seen :) I absolutely love the print of the skirt and I think the african violet is a nice complement. Thanks so much for linking up!

It’s funny that you mention this weather making people love living here. I decided that I would make Chicago my home while driving in on Lakeshore on a warm, sunny June day. And regretted that a little 6 months later when winter came :)

That’s so cool that you got to hang out at the zoo while it was so nice out! And I really like lavender paired with black and white. It’s totally out of my pallet because it’s so pale, but it seems to work really well and not get lost in this outfit.

I have a friend who visited me in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend one year and the weather was PERFECT. She wanted to know why everyone didn’t live here. Uh, well, you know, things like snow and freezing temps kind of deter a lot of people :-)

The lavender in this outfit really tones down the harshness of the pattern on the skirt, don’t you think?

I try to discourage people from visiting in the winter. Just come for our few weeks of nice weather in the summer! :)

I don’t actually find houndstooth to be too harsh – it’s bold and fun! But the lavender and black do ground it a little.

5. Pingback: Best Outfit of April - Loop Looks

I still haven’t been to this zoo! I should go, if I am ever in that area. :)

I have to laugh when you say people love the weather in Chicago. Which months? Ha ha ha.

Yay for wearing open toed shoes sans polish with pride! I am missing a toenail now and don’t have my other ones painted… who cares ;)