Wear All The Dresses

•• Office Appropriate Outfits - Spring

gray_dress_red_cardigan_1

gray_cardigan_red_dress_2

Dress – Nordstrom Rack (similar) | Cardigan – The Limited (similar) | Booties – Liz Claiborne via DSW (similar)

Today’s 5 Days, 5 Ways challenge is…dresses! Although, as it turns out, I don’t think I’ve worn the same dress five times in five different ways. Although, I’ve worn a lot of my dresses two or three different ways. So, I thought I’d give you a taste of how I transform summer dresses into cooler weather dresses in today’s post.dress_collage

dress_collage_2

Today’s outfit was inspired by this pin which I saved when I saw it and immediately realized, hey, I have a dress that color and a cardigan that color! Why did I never think to put the two of them together?

Wearing a summer dress in the winter is actually pretty easy.  Wear a shirt underneath, wear a cardigan or sweater over, or throw on a blazer. Add tights and boots or closed toe shoes and you’re done!  Double the wardrobe, half the cost.

Want to see more ways I’ve worn dresses? I’ve tried to tag all of them here.

Also linking with Texas Lovebirds, Frills for Thrills and Vodka Infused Lemonade

Dang girl- you are a pro at transitioning dresses! So true too: double the wardrobe, half the cost! I love all the looks but especially the first summer/winter look- very professional for the office!

Nice dress styling! I’ve always loved the idea of year-round clothes. I have a few dresses that are very strictly summer (think: beachwear), but most of mine have made the transition pretty well. Like yours, they’re neutrals, so the cardigan/tights trick works pretty well.

That said, I am having a tough time styling that teal lace dress I just bought from Old Navy though! I don’t want to wait until it warms up, but I have no ideas other than black cardigan/tights, which just seems kind of boring. Thoughts?

Hmmm, what if you wore it with a different colored cardigan (something else in the green family, white, or purple?) and some tall boots? I bet you could get away with bare legs and tall boots when the temps hit 50. Or would you feel too “cowgirl” like that?

3. Brynn

Awesome! I love seeing how people remix dresses. They’re my favorite thing to wear (I have over 30 dresses…omg that’s a lot), and I like wearing them in different ways, too! I like how you make them appropriate for various seasons, too!

I think I’ve said this before, but I really love the sweater-over-a-dress-turning-it-into-a-skirt look for winter. I think that’s such a smart move…more like tripling your closet than doubling it, because I know for me at least I wouldn’t even realize that you were wearing the same dress when you’re covering half of it up. It *almost* makes me want to wear dresses…except, you know, why on earth would I wear a dress when I can wear jeans? Haha. The mercury has to top 90 before you’re going to find me wearing a dress to work :P

I hardly ever wore dresses at my previous job because I was constantly lifting boxes, kneeling on the floor, and taking the stairs two at a time. Now, though, I (usually) love getting a bit more dressed up. Although, if I could wear jeans I probably would!

It drives me crazy when people say they can’t wear their “summer” dresses in the winter time, just because of that! It is so easy just to throw on some tights and a cardigan and tada, winterized. (Maybe it’s the cutting your wardrobe in half because of season that I don’t get get. It’s hard to wear shorts in the winter, but tanks can go under sweaters and on and on. And wow, I got on a ramble there, sorry about that!)

I do love that you show in pictures how easy it is to winterize a dress and I really am loving the red and gray pairing. Yet another thing I need to try!

6. Ashley

I love posts like this! I don’t have that many clothing items, so anytime I can wear a “summery item” in the winter, I try to make it happen. You did a great job styling all of your dresses, Erin!

It’s fun to see all the side=by-side comparisons of how you’ve worn them! :) Do you think it’s easier to layer over the more fitted ones than the more loose ones (like the blue one)?

If you wear a blazer or a cardigan over a fuller dress you just have to be sure that it doesn’t fall too low on the dress. At least, that’s my opinion. Sheath dresses are a bit easier because you don’t have to worry about the volume.