The Perfect White Shirt

Casual Friday · Office Appropriate Outfits - Spring

tweed_jacket_black_jeans 010

tweed_jacket_black_jeans 017

Jacket – J. Crew via ebay (similar) | Blouse – Gap (similar) | Jeans – The Limited (similar) | Boots – DSW (similar) | Necklace – NYC (similar)

Another casual-ish outfit for you today since I’m still off work and traveling home from visiting friends. However, I had two great reasons to take photos for today. The first, it’s Inspiration Monday and Two Birds was extoling the virtues of dressing up a plain white shirt with this inspiration photo.

Inspiration Photo Source

I bought this shirt over a year ago from the Gap.  Originally it was ridiculously overpriced for a polyester white blouse with a little bit of shoulder detail, but it turns out I’ve worn it so often that even if I had paid full price for it (I didn’t) I would have definitely gotten my monies worth.  Which is why I also chose to feature it today as part of the 5 Days, 5 Ways link-up with Franish and Along the Lines of Style since today’s topic is “Tops”.

White_blouse_collage

As you can see, this blouse works with almost everything in my closet and across all seasons.  A white shirt that can be dressed up or down and can be worn untucked or tucked in turned out to be a major work horse in my wardrobe.

Want one of your own?  Here are a few options that I think would work.

43 replies on “The Perfect White Shirt

1. Molly

I just splurged on a white Oxford from J Crew for this exact reason. It will go with everything, work all year & (assuming I care for it properly) last forever because it will never look dated.

Gotta love those simple, classic, basics.

1. Mica

I also need a white shirt! I always see things like this in the store and think, “Meh, I don’t really need it. It’s not THAT exciting.” [Not that I buy exciting things either!] But apparently, I’m missing out on a super versatile piece. I was surprised how many different ensembles it made an appearance in!

2. Ginny

Basics like this are the best! I agree it’s hard to spend money on them but I’m with you on getting your money’s worth. :)
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

Several people I know say that before they buy something they think about how many outfits they can wear it with using things they already have. If they can think of at least three then they know it’s a good piece to buy. Obviously this one was worth it!

3. lena

Hi Erin, loved your look and the white t-shirt looks. I’m going to check the 5d5w challenge, it looks great and it’s the only way I get motivated to photograph some outfits :)

4. Carly

I never was a white shirt person before and I got one from Lands’ End online for a ridiculously cheap price ($3.50, I think) and wear it all the time! It is amazingly versatile!

5. Jessi

That does look like the perfect white top, love all the ways you’ve worn it! And that jacket is what caught my attention! So pretty, I love it!
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

I had been drooling over this jacket for months! I finally broke down and bought one via ebay. Still paid more for it than I would have liked, but since I couldn’t stop thinking about it I figure it’s worth it.

6. Inge

Great outfits! My favorite is with the green pants and striped blazer. I did my 5 ways with a white lace top, because a white top is just super versatile!

You have the short sleeved lace top from The Limited! I’ve been eying that one! I bought a three-quarter length lace top from there but don’t love it as much as I thought I would. I’ll have to see if they still have the short sleeved version and grab it the next time it’s on sale.

It’s crazy trying to find the perfect white shirt but it does look like you found yours! I think when you do find the perfect something and you know you’re going to run into into the ground wearing it, it’s worth whatever price tag as oppose to settling for something that “eh” and on sale.

I love how you wore your white shirt this time around, it looks so stylish with the tweedy jacket and tall boots! (And it actually looks really cute with every other outfit, but I LOVE this outfit.)

The perfect white shirt is surprisingly hard to find! I’ve got ones that are too sheer, don’t layer right, bunch in the wrong places, and wrinkle too much (because I don’t enjoy ironing). But the perfect white shirt is so incredibly versatile once found! I absolutely love that pink skirt…

9. Franziska

the perfect white shirt is on my “find” list for next month! I think it is so versatile, as you’ve demonstrated here. Thank you so much for joining us!

10. Pingback: March and April Shopping Summary - Loop Looks