Trying to be Inspired

Office Appropriate Outfits - Spring

lace_dress_military_jacket 1

lace_dress_military_jacket 2 military_jacket_necklace

black_booties_tights

Jacket – Old Navy via Threadflip (similar) | Dress – Marshall’s (similar) | Tights- Banana Republic (similar) | Booties – Liz Claiborne via DSW (similar) | Necklace – Jeans & A Cute Top Shop (similar) | Earrings – The Limited

Today’s Inspiration Monday photo just screams spring.  A lace dress, a colorful blazer and adorable strappy shoes? Spring. Sadly, it’s still too chilly here for bare legs and strappy shoes so I did my best to winterize my lace dress with some additional inspiration from Katie.

Original Inspiration Photo

Still, there’s something about this outfit I’m not loving.  Maybe I should have worn the jacket open and belted the dress underneath? Maybe I just like the look of a lace dress with black tights better on other people?  Thoughts?

Would you wear either of these outfits?

34 replies on “Trying to be Inspired

I’ve been dying to find a lace dress but all the ones I try on are super short and make me look like I’m about to go work the corner.

Does this dress have sleeves or is it sleeveless?

2. Jessi

I love it with the black tights! Especially with the texture of them. I think you look great! The military style green looks amazing against lace (and Katie’s dress is beautiful, wow!) Really loving your interpretation :) I had to throw on tights too since it’s cold here as well.
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

3. Miranda

I love the dress you have on and I think it looks cute with the tights! It may have worked better with the jacket open, or maybe with a brighter jacket to give it more of a spring feel? But I still think it’s really cute!

4. Kezzie

Hello Erin, I am liking your look- nice khaki jacket and the dress and boots are really pretty! I quite liked the inspiration look this time and I really like your interpretation of it!

5. Suburban Style Challenge

I quite like this look, actually… though I’m sure that doesn’t surprise you as it’s pretty down my alley in terms of style LOL.

I think this look was tough for us Chicagoans… it was SO nice out yesterday, and this look would have been perfect for yesterday, and today? Cold, rainy, and just blah.

1. Suburban Style Challenge

Out by us it was in the high 40’s. Granted I spent most of the day laying on the couch being a bum, but went out with the dog a few times. It was raining, but I’ll take high 40’s rain over mid 30’s rain!

6. Silvergirl

the bottom of your dress look adorable
    maybe you should have put a pop of color somewhere in your look to balance out the white and black
    love that you did lace tights with the lace dress
    brett

7. Kandi

I like this look but for my personal (lack of) style I’d probably not feel comfortable in the military jacket with the lace. I actually think the black patterned tights look great with the lace dress though. I saw a turquoise blazer on sale this morning that I considered since I don’t really own any blazers and like how you incorporate them into your outfits. I didn’t order it (yet) but think it would look awesome with the white lace.

I like the different styles together on your interpretation, but you’re right, something is amiss. But I don’t think it’s the black tights! I like those with the lace. Maybe the scarf idea that the first commenter had :)

Duh. You know I love the orange blazer in the inspiration photo. That is what you are missing!!!! :P

Maybe I should have worn a black blazer to balance out the bottom half of the outfit? Or you should use your photoshop magic and turn my blazer orange and we can see if that makes me look like a Halloween prop :-)

I’m so flattered that I was a source of some inspiration and I think I’m going to have to steal some of that inspiration from you, I LOVE your version of this! The army green jacket with the lace dress is such a perfect pairing, I just adore it. (I love the lines over this outfit, even with it being a military jacket the lines overall are so clean and crisp! I think in this case the jacket really works up buttoned up but your idea of unbuttoning the jacket and wearing a belt underneath would work well as well.)

Do you think you like the lines because this jacket is cut more like a blazer? I know that’s why I wore it buttoned up. I still think, though, that you pulled off the dark tights with the light dress better than I did!

10. Pingback: Lace Dress Take Two - Loop Looks