Polka Dot Sweater? I Hardly Know Her!

Office Appropriate Outfits - Spring

polka_dot_sweater_blazer

polka_dot_sweater_blazer 2

Blazer – The Limited (similar under $20) | Sweater – Old Navy (similar under $30) | Collared Shirt – TJ Maxx (similar under $30) | Pants – Ann Taylor (similar under $30) | Booties – Liz Claiborne via DSW (similar) | Necklace – Macy’s (similar under $30)

Today’s Inspiration Monday photo should have been easy.  Skinny pants and a polka dot sweater?  Polka dot sweaters have been everywhere this past season so of course I have one in my closet.

Inspiration Photo Source

Of course, Hilary Duff’s is ADORABLE while mine required a bit of finagling.  See, mine is actually short sleeved. So in order to give it some more interest under the blazer I added the collared button-up white shirt. I like that the sweater gives is a slightly casual vibe while the button-up and the blazer make it definitely office appropriate. And I incorporated the black and gray color scheme which promptly drove my photograph-taking husband nuts. “Can’t you wear something with color? Now we need to find a colorful background!” Mission? Accomplished.

Do you own a polka dot sweater? Don’t you love the one in the inspiration photo?

polka_dot_sweater_blazer 1

P.S. If you bought all the items linked to above (minus the shoes), your total outfit cost would be $122.41 (excluding tax and shipping). And the blazer, black pants, and collared shirt would become closet staples so you’d definitely get your money’s worth!

31 replies on “Polka Dot Sweater? I Hardly Know Her!

you look ADORBS! I love it!

I’ve been dying to find a polka dot sweater! For some reason all the ones I find are square and boxy.

I do love the colorful background! And the outfit too :)

I think I like the inspiration sweater, but it makes her look a bit frumpy! Guess I don’t dig the half pulled out shirt and that she has her sleeves down over her hands.

Oh yeah, the way Hilary is wearing the sweater is frumptastic but the sweater itself is so cute. I love the two different colored polka dots and the fact that they are more abstractly placed over the sweater.

Hahaha, I love the title!

I’m with your husband, in that I need to have some color, but I’d put it in my outfits (though the red background is a nice touch!). And I’m pretty sure I’ve left this exact comment before. When will I ever get on board with all neutrals? Anyway. I love the fun, yet business-like feel of this outfit! And I always love a polka dot – whenever I get around to this week’s outfit post, it’ll be polka dotted :)

The crazy thing is, I HAVE color in my closet, I just seem to be in a neutrals rut for the past few weeks. Maybe my goal next week will be to wear colorful outfits!

I should clarify – I do think it’s a really good, sharp look! I just don’t do it myself very often. I guess I got the idea of “pops of color” ingrained in my mind at some point.

4. Brynn

What a great sweater, Erin! I love how you thought outside the box to make it winter-weather appropriate :) I never would have thought to wear it over the white shirt and under a blazer! Genius. :)

theoriginalbrynn.blogspot.com

Well, you know how much I love neutral colors, so this outfit is a total win. (Gray on gray is the best!) I think this is another time when I like your outfit more than the inspiration outfit, Hillary’s sweater and boots are adorable but I’m not so sure about the pulled out tee underneath. (But I think her kid is still pretty young so I guess I can forgive wardrobe malfunctions, it was probably adorable before she left the house! And yeah, it feels completely weird to think of Hillary Duff being old enough to have a kiddo now.)
    Oh dear, I’m random today. I mean to say that I like the softness of the gray blazer over the gray polka dotted sweater, it’s a pairing I’ll have to try!

Hahha, your poor husband, all he wants is some color in the picture!

I agree that Hilary’s outfit is WAY too casual, but the sweater is so cute! Of course, I’d wear it with a collared shirt underneath (or at least tuck in my undershirt!)