Copycats Friday: A Light Bulb Moment

Casual Friday · Office Appropriate Outfits - Winter

black-pants-red-sweater-gray-blazer (1)

black-pants-red-sweater-gray-blazerblack-pants-red-sweater-gray-blazer (2)

Blazer – The Limited (similar) | Turtleneck – Express (similar) | Jeans – The Limited (similar) | Boots – DSW (similar) | Necklace – store in NYC (similar)

Before I had a style blog, before I even knew what Pinterest was, I saved an image on my computer from the Banana Republic website.  I loved the preppy, equestrian vibe it had going on.   I even sent the picture to another style blogger I read at the time to see if she would be willing to show me how to interpret it with items that didn’t require dropping a whole paycheck at Banana Republic.  She told me she didn’t wear much red and that was that.

I recently re-discovered this image saved on my computer and THEN I learned you can upload photos to Pinterest!  That they don’t have to already be on another website to “pin” them.  Look, I may be book smart but I’m still learning about all these new-fangled Internet things.

Anyway, while perusing my pins for something to recreate for today’s Copycats Friday from Frills for Thrills I saw this pin and the light bulb went off.  I now have all those items!  In fact, I’ve had the gray blazer since September and all the other items for much longer but this week was when they finally all came together in my head.

Which is why you should totally save images of outfits that catch your eye even if you don’t have the items to recreate them at that exact moment!

FrillsforThrills CopyCats

Also linking up with: Two Thirty Five Designs | Texas Lovebirds | Modly Chic

23 replies on “Copycats Friday: A Light Bulb Moment

1. Sarah

You did a great job recreating this look. I’ve saved a bunch of outfits for years just waiting for the chance to recreate them. I should look into that more :)

I was doing the reverse of that look at your party (red blazer and tan top, well and black boots) and I got a few equestrian comments. I like the look! So lame that that blogger wasn’t willing to help!

When I was active on Pinterest a year ago I was mostly uploading pins from screenshots because a lot of the sites I liked were flash and it couldn’t grab the images! LAME-O!!!

My boots came! I have been too lazy to open them yet, though.

One of the reasons I started my You Pick Wednesday series was because I felt as though many of the other style bloggers weren’t promoting the dialogue of actually helping their readers. And I want to help!

RE: irritating websites you can’t pin from – one of the things I love about Windows 7 is the snipping tool that makes it super easy to clip and save a photo without having to do a screen shot.

3. Carly

Don’t you love that you saved outfit pictures WAY before it was the “cool thing” to do on Pinterest? ;)

Love this outfit and your boots are AMAZING!

Thanks for coming back and linking up with us again. :)

4. Anne the SpyGirl

Ha! That is too funny!
    See, you KNEW it was a good look!

btw, please practice conscientious pinning. If you upload an image from your computer and it’s not your original content, please add your source in the notes or comment boxes. Sorry to rant, this seems to be my crusade this week.

I love this inspiration photo, I think it’s like you said, those brown boots are so unexpected with the top portion of the outfit. (And all the better for it, I love brown and black mixed together.) This is such a quirky take on a equestrian outfit, the red turtleneck is so striking under the gray blazer. I think these must be the best flat riding boots ever, they have a fantastic worn look to the leather and the buckles up the back is SO cool.

Ah ha, I think I might know who you’re referring to as well! (Jezzz, that’s just rude, blowing someone off because you don’t like the color?)

Do we need to start a support group of bloggers who have been blown off by other bloggers? :-)

These boots get so many compliments, I think because they are so unique. I’ve only ever seen one other person wearing them, too.

Yay!!! I am a huge fan of the equestrian look and this outfit looks super sharp. I’ve always had a personal mental block against wearing brown shoes with black pants, though… do you have any guidelines for doing so?

I don’t know if I would wear brown dress shoes with brown dress pants but something about the brown riding boots and black jeans/leggings doesn’t bother me as much. Maybe because then it’s definitely intentional as opposed to just getting dressed in the dark.

7. Mary

I love the detail on those fabulous boots! Nice copy! And I’m completely turned off that a fashion blogger would turn you down like that. What a bummer!

Thanks for linking up with copycat linkup!

I’ve learned recently that that particular blogger has a history of not being very helpful to other bloggers. It’s interesting. Anyway, I’m kind of glad she didn’t because this means I get to do it!

8. Jamie

Oh my gosh I had no idea you could do that either!!! I’m kind of stupid when it comes to Pinterest, hahaha. Thanks for the heads up – also – I love your recreation!

9. Pingback: 10 Step Guide to Buying Riding Boots - Loop Looks