The Sweater That Got Away

•• Office Appropriate Outfits - Winter

burgundy-pants-gray-sweater-chambray

burgandy-pants-gray-sweater-chambray 1burgundy-pants-gray-sweater-chambray (1)

Chambray – Old Navy (similar)| Sweater – Gap (similar)| Pants – Target | Shoes – Bandolino via DSW (similar flats) (similar heels)| Necklace – The Limited (similar)

Inspired by Jessica of Bows & Sequins I decided to keep myself warm on this chilly Chicago day by layering a sweater over a chambray shirt.  Her outfit was for a casual day with the family during the holidays but I took my up a notch for work by wearing burgundy dress pants, heels, and some jewels.

To be honest, I saw an adorable gray snowflake sweater at H & M earlier this month and almost bought it.  But, really, how often can you wear a snowflake sweater?  Especially when you already have a perfectly serviceable gray sweater in your closet?  See, look at me using things I already own!

Doesn’t mean I’m not still thinking about that sweater.

I have a rule that if I feel like I’m about to impulse buy something that I won’t really wear very often to go home and sleep on it. If I’m still thinking about how much I want it the next day I’ll go buy it. Most of the time when I get home I realize that it was an impulse buy but sometimes…I go back.

Kudos to you for passing up the urge to buy a similar sweater and using what’s in your closet. I’m trying to make a conscious effort to do that too! It’s tough! And I love your chambray with the polka dots…adds a little more pizazz versus a regular chambray!

I think it can be so tricky to not buy items similar to those you already have. I constantly find myself drawn to things that look the similar to what I already own, which makes perfectly good sense if you think about it — if I liked the item the first time, chances are I’ll like a similar item, you know? Of course, when I’m looking to replace an item with something similar to what I already have, that’s a different story…that tends to be when no store anywhere has what I’m looking for. Shopping is SO HARD :P

4. Maggie

I have those same pants (wearing them today) and the same chambray. I don’t know if I have a gray sweater anymore. Hmmmm maybe I will do my own “inspired by Loop Looks” outfit!

You do the best color pairings! I’m so going to have to recreate this, I love the burgundy pants with the gray sweater, it’s such a stylish pairing and looks gorgeous. (Haha, I even have this same button up, thanks for giving me new ideas for how to style it!)

6. Inge

I love your layered look! I have this same chambray and I wear it all the time. And don’t feel so bad, I currently have like, 4 grey sweaters in my wardrobe ha.