A few weeks ago I asked for your opinions on Facebook about which riding boots I should order from Sole Society. The almost unanimous opinion was that I should order these, the Maddy riding boots.
So, I did.
Here’s what you should know about the Maddy riding boots:
- They are made of real leather. Since I don’t have any qualms with wearing real leather I prefer, when possible, to buy riding boots made from it because I feel that they last longer.
- The entire back of the boot is stretchy material which is great for those of us with athletic calves
- Based on a size 6 the calf circumference is 14”. I ordered a size 8 so the calf circumference was closer to 15.25”.
- They come in all full and half sizes between size 5 and 10 and then only full in 10 and 11.
- They don’t have a full inside zipper. It’s only up half the inside which I was a bit concerned about it but it didn’t end up making a difference.
When I first put them on I thought they were too bulky around the ankle. But that was on bare legs. When I put them on with my jeans they looked much better. And considering I mostly wear my riding boots with jeans I think they’d be fine. Plus, it can be difficult for me with my 15” calves to find riding boots that fit comfortably over my jeans and these did that just fine.
I also tend to shy away from boots that have straps around the ankle but with these the strap sits lower on the front of the shoe making it less likely to cut off your leg, visually, which I liked.
However, I ended up returning them. Why? Because the size 8 I ordered was too big in the heel.
I’m in a weird gray zone between a size 7.5 and an 8. The front of my foot is an 8 but my heel is a 7.5.
Sole Society doesn’t currently do exchanges so I’ll just have to hope that after they process my return they still have a 7.5 in stock that I can order to try. Otherwise I’ll be using my store credit to try another pair.
Yeah, that’s the other thing about Sole Society. They charged a $7.95 restocking fee if you ask for a refund instead of store credit.
Still, I really liked the elastic back and the leather was nice and smooth. I do worry that they might start to get slouchy around the ankles but hopefully the elastic on the back would help with that.
So, there’s my review of the Sole Society Maddy Riding Boots. Hopefully the 7.5 will work better for me because otherwise I really liked them!
Tags: black boots, knee high boots, shopping